Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Unit 5 Reflection

         This unit was about protein synthesis and different types of mutations. We also learned about how DNA is copied and gene regulation. Protein synthesis is when protein is made through transcription then translation. The first step of protein synthesis is a section of DNA being copied by an enzyme and producing a copy called messenger RNA. The mRNA then leaves the nucleus and moves to the cytoplasm. The mRNA then bonds bonds with a ribosome, which will make a protein. The ribosome reads the first three bases called a codon and that determines which amino acid will go with that base. The amino acids are bonded together, and when the mRNA is done being translated, the amino acid chain folds up to become a protein. There are many different types of mutations such as substitution, deletion, and insertion. However, the worst possible case would either be an insertion or deletion in the very beginning of the sequence. It could cause the protein to change drastically and maybe not even start coding until the middle of the sequence, or not start at all. Gene regulation is when the gene prevents itself from being copied by the RNA polymerase. A strength that I have is understanding protein synthesis because of the lab that we did in class. That lab really helped me understand mutations and their effects, but also how the process of protein synthesis works. However, on the other hand, a weakness of mine is understanding gene regulation. Gene regulation is not something that I understand fully yet, and I still have trouble knowing the process of it. I am definitely a better student than I was before this unit because I learned more about these processes in detail, and I think that I can now explain to my peers almost all of the topics of this unit. I want to learn more about mutations and the conditions/diseases they cause because I think it's so interesting how one extra amino acid added or taken out can cause such a big change to the protein. An unanswered question that I still have is how complicated gene regulation can get in humans. I still wonder about how many mutations can be caused in one sequence of bases or whether there is a limit to as how many can occur or not.
          According to the Vark Questionnaire, I learned best when I listened to other people talking and when I saw diagrams and pictures. Because of this new information, I studied playing to my strengths and it actually helped me a lot. I did pretty well on the test and it the most recent test actually ended up being my highest test score. I learned that studying by looking at pictures and listening to vodcasts really helped me soak in all the information. I will definitely study like I did for the most recent test for the upcoming final.

No comments:

Post a Comment